Sunday, March 18, 2018

My Current Natural Skin Care Routine



I have always been what you could call a "skincare junkie", trying every new "holy grail" product out there. I had never really considered that many of these "miracle" products could actually be doing more harm than good, in the long (and short) run. I don't know how many times a product has made me break out, given me a rash, or itchy, puffy eyes (even the ones specifically formulated for sensitive skin) Not only do many of these products contain toxic ingredients, many of them also test on animals! For these (and many other positive) reasons, I started to research products before I buy. First of all, I read the labels and look for a few key words on the packaging: non-toxic, cruelty free, no parabens, no pthalates and free of perfumes and dyes (organic ingredients are a plus!). I also check the toxicity rating on the EWG website. Lastly, I read reviews. I like to get the opinion of REAL people who have used the product before I take the plunge. I am happy to say that I am well on my way to a completely non-toxic skincare routine. Here is my review, in the order that I use them:

TULA Probiotic Purifying Face Cleanser - This is the newest addition to my non-toxic skincare routine... and so far I love it! It is described as " a probiotic-based gel cleanser that deep cleans pores and removes impurities and makeup without stripping the skin"... and this is exactly what it does! I double cleanse (once with my hands to quickly remove any makeup, and lastly with a facial brush to exfoliate), and my skin still feels dewy and moisturized! It's also a foaming cleanser, which I prefer. There are two sizes, so you can try before you buy. The bottles are very generous. I purchased the larger size, and because I only wash my face once a day (at night), I feel like this cleanser will last a loooong, long time.

Thayers Alcohol Free Rose Petal Witch Hazel Toner - I have to admit, I was scared to try this. I had used witch hazel as a toner years ago and it was not a pleasant experience. However, my pores were calling out for a hero, and this got excellent reviews. First of all, it's alcohol free! This was the main reason I decided to give it a go. It also has aloe vera, which is super soothing for skin. Finally, it smells really pleasant. Not like any other toner I have used in the past, and my skin loves it! I feel like it really preps my skin for facial oil and moisturizer.

Heritage Store Rosewater and Glycerine Spray- I love this stuff! Super refreshing any time of day. I like to spritz this on after toner and apply my facial oil while my skin is still damp. It has a very light rose scent. It's inexpensive, but so essential to my skincare routine! You can pick this up at any Whole Foods or Sprouts, too!

Aura Cacia Sweet Almond Oil - I have used some pretty high end and expensive facial oils, but none have worked as well with my skin as this simple oil! It's not scented, and only has two ingredients: almond oil and vitamin e. I also have a bottle in my shower and use it as a full body moisturizer. It works great in place of shaving cream, too!

Rose Hip Oil - After reading about the wonderful anti-aging benefits of this oil, I added it to my regimen. It's rich in Omega 6 fatty acids and helps aid in antioxidant protection. I mix a little with my sweet almond oil, or just pat a few drops on top. My skin soaks it up and looks instantly dewy and happy.

Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate - This is the only part of my routine that may have some questionable ingredients. For this reason, I don't use it everyday, but I have found that it really helps to fade spots overnight. It also seems to have had a positive effect on my eyebrows! They have never been so full. However, it is fairly expensive. I will probably be phasing this one out of my routine in the near future, so if you know of a good non-toxic dupe let me know!!

What are your favorite non-toxic skincare products?







No comments:

Post a Comment