Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Vegan Double Chocolate Cake



I'm not a huge fan of Valentine's Day or the expectations that come with it. Sure, hearts are cute, and who doesn't love a box of chocolates? I'm just not a fan of how the holiday creates a buying frenzy. Love should be celebrated everyday, and I fully believe in showing the people you love how you feel in little, meaningful ways - every single chance you get - ...but I don't think that should mean buying a bunch of 'stuff'. I also hate the question, "So, what did he/she/they get you for Valentine's Day?", like it's some sort of competition. Now, I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but I just think that this holiday is LAME. This is coming from a hopeless romantic (I know it may not sound like it with all of my anti-Valentine's ranting). I have never thought that this holiday was romantic, and that's just my opinion. I'll take those, stay up late talking about life, kiss me in the middle of an argument, hold my hand while watching TV, bring me a flower you picked on your way home when you thought of me, and pinch my butt in the middle of the grocery store because you think I'm really cute (P.S. not an invitation to strangers) kind of moments. It's the little everyday things that matter to me.


Anyway, you know what's not lame? CAKE. Here's a yummy recipe:

Vegan Double Chocolate Cake
Slightly Adapted from Minimalist Baker

1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup hot coffee (I used instant)
2/3 cup melted coconut oil
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 cups + 2 Tbsp whole wheat white flour
1 1/3 cups coconut sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp sea salt

FROSTING
1 cup vegan butter, softened
2 1/2 powdered sugar
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1/4 cup dairy-free dark chocolate, melted and cooled
Splash of almond milk if needed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick spray and dust with cocoa powder. Tap the pans over the sink to shake out the excess, and set aside.
Mix the almond milk and vinegar in a large mixing bowl, and let set for a few minutes to thicken. Add the oil, coffee, and applesauce and beat until foamy.
Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to a separate bowl and whisk together. With your mixer on low, slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Mix until smooth and creamy (batter should be thick, but pour-able). Divide batter evenly between your 2 cake pans. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before frosting.

While the cakes cool, whip up your frosting. Whisk the vegan butter and powered sugar until creamy Add in your cooled, melted chocolate and mix until smooth, then add in the cocoa powder. Whisk everything on high until light and fluffy. Add in some almond milk if the frosting is too thick. You can always add more powdered sugar or cocoa if it's too thin. Once the cake is cooled, frost with your chocolate frosting. If you want to write a note, melt a little bit of white chocolate in the micro for 30 seconds at a time until smooth and melted. Transfer to a plastic sandwich bag, and cut the tip off one corner. Pipe your message onto your cake, and add some pretty flowers if desired. *Note: I always wrap a little parchment around the stems of my flowers before inserting them into the cake.


Whatever your opinion is of Valentine's Day, I hope you enjoy!

xoxo





 

No comments:

Post a Comment