Monday, April 16, 2018

My Low Key Fitness Routine


I hate the gym. I've been a member of three different gyms over the years, but I never fully felt the benefit. First of all, I'm an anxious person. I don't like busy, crowded areas. I feel overstimulated and self-conscious. Then there's the added annoyance of always getting hassled when I go to the gym... but that's another issue altogether. I'm happy for those of you who love the gym and feel motivated by all of the other people and their energy! That atmosphere just does not work for me, and I ended up paying monthly for a membership that I just was not utilizing enough to justify the expense to my budget. So... many of you have asked, how do I stay in shape without the gym? First of all, I eat a healthy diet mostly free of refined sugars, white flour and fried foods. I eat a predominantly plant based, whole food diet. That's #1. You will not see results if you are eating (I'm just going to say it) crap. Second, my goal is to build lean muscle and to feel strong and healthy overall (and to have a nice booty, but hey, who isn't?). If you are body building or looking to bulk up then my routine probably won't impress you. If you are looking to avoid the gym and the costs that come with it, enjoy the outdoors, and want to use your workout time to clear your head and ease anxiety while building strong, lean muscle and work on your flexibility... then a routine similar to mine might just work for you! Here is an example of what I do to stay in shape and keep my sanity:

I do yoga and stretch every morning. I also use this as my meditation time when I'm feeling particularly anxious or depleted. I work out 4 to 5 days a week. I alternate between high intensity workout days and low intensity days to allow my muscles time to recover. On high intensity days, I will do 45 minutes to an hour of high intensity circuit training or a training video. Before you scoff at workout videos... I'm not talking about Richard Simmons (although the man still looks great so he must be doing something right). Workout dvds are really no different than having a personal trainer EXCEPT for the fact that you are the only one to keep yourself motivated and to hold you accountable (If you need someone to hold you accountable then this probably won't work for you). The other difference is that you aren't paying tons of money every month. You pay for a DVD/BluRay once, and that's IT. My favorite workout is this one here. It's a full body strengthening and conditioning workout, and it hurts. Hurts so good. Other higher intensity workouts that I love are created by Pamela Reif (YouTube and Puma Trac App) and Alexa Jean Fitness 12 week Healthy Body Guide and Sore to the Core.

On low intensity days I like to go for a run outdoors and/or run and walk on an incline to activate my glutes and calf muscles. Feel that extra burn carry over from the high-intensity day before. I like to help my muscles recover with Restorative Yoga. This is my go to, and I even have it memorized.

I find a way to be active everyday and get the most out of my surroundings. For example, I always take the stairs when that is an option. So simple, but effective. Small daily changes, over time, can be one of the best ways to get results!

There isn't a one-size-fits-all approach to health and fitness. Find what works for you and make it your routine. Just don't forget to find ways to mix it up so that you are getting the most out of your workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment