Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Glow Getter: Skincare Oils



Up until just a few years ago, I thought I had oily skin... so naturally, I thought that oils were my #1 enemy. I have since come to realize that I actually have dry, sensitive skin which was over-producing oil in an attempt to quench and balance my dehydrated skin. Ever since I discovered the magic of natural, high-quality oils, I have ditched all my other conventional moisturizers! I have even adopted the oil-cleansing method, which (in all honesty) I used to think sounded crazy. 

Like all skincare products, there is not a one-size-fits-all approach to oils. However, it is much easier to find the one that works for you and here's why: natural oils are made from pure and simple ingredients that can be used alone or easily mixed and matched to create your own personal skin-loving concoction. Conventional moisturizers typically contain SO MANY ingredients. It is easy for your skin to get confused or irritated when you are slathering on a product that is concocted of 20 plus ingredients. It's so frustrating to think of all of the money I have spent over the years on products that not only fell short of my expectations, but were also expensive and full of potentially harmful ingredients. Does this sound familiar to you?


Here is a list of my favorite natural, non-toxic, nourishing, skin-loving oils:

ROSEHIP OIL 

Rosehip oil is my #1 favorite skincare oil of all time. Rosehip oil is full of antioxidants and essential fatty acids, making it great for moisturizing and anti-aging. It is also an anti-inflammatory oil which can combat acne. Rosehips contain natural vitamin c, which can help brighten the skin, fade acne scars, dark spots, and gives an instant boost of glowy goodness. 

So, how do you choose a rosehip oil? Choose an oil that contains 100% pure rosehip oil as the only ingredient. The highest quality rosehip oil will be organic, cold-pressed and un-refined. A higher quality rosehip oil will have a slightly pinkish tone and smell similar to vitamin e oil or fish oil. 

My current favorites are:

Acure The Essentials Rosehip oil  https://amzn.to/2XEUZQx
and NOW Foods 100% pure rosehip seed oil  https://amzn.to/2UsF4Tz

How I use rosehip oil: I use rosehip oil as my main facial moisturizer both day and night. It doesn't irritate my sensitive skin, and is amazing under makeup for a healthy glow. The Acure oil is a heavier oil, which I like to use at night. I like to mix the Now Foods oil and jojoba oil as my daily daytime moisturizer. I also love that this can be used in your hair. I like to spread a few drops in the palms of my hands and run the oil through the lengths and ends of my hair between washes. 

JOJOBA OIL

Jojoba oil is another one of my skin oil MVPs. Jojoba oil closely resembles the sebum that our skin naturally produces, making it easy for your skin to absorb and more fully reap the benefits. Jojoba oil is antibacterial, non-comodegenic and hypoallergenic. This oil is a pretty safe choice for all skin types, so it is a great oil to start out with. 

I love Desert Essence 100% Pure Jojoba Oil  https://amzn.to/2EMNT4U

How I use jojoba oil: I like to mix a few drops of this oil in with my rosehip oil pretty much daily. I slather this oil under my eyes and on my lips before bed, and wake up with soft, smooth skin. I have also used this oil alone as a makeup remover/oil cleanser when I run out of my usual oil cleanser. 

MARULA OIL

Marula oil contains free-radical-fighting antioxidants like vitamins C & E. It is a richer oil, but is easily absorbed by the skin and doesn't feel heavy. It makes a great cold-weather addition and helps to smooth those fine-lines.

I like Acure The Essentials Marula Oil  https://amzn.to/2Tf32F0

How I use marula oil: Marula oil is a newer addition to my skincare oil line up. I picked it up to add to my nighttime routine during the colder months when my skin needs some extra moisture. 

CASTOR OIL

Castor oil promotes hair growth, and is great for eyebrows, eyelashes and hair re-growth. It is a thick oil, and although it is not recomended as a facial treatment, is great for moisturizing dry skin on elbows, knees, heels and feet. 

I use Home Health Cold-Pressed and Cold-Processed Castor oil ($5-$10) https://amzn.to/2EALNE5

How I use castor oil: I sometimes forget about the magic that is castor oil. Castor oil is a very thick, sticky oil that is great for hair conditioning and growth. I use it mainly on my eyebrows, and it really works!

MAD HIPPIE CLEANSING OIL

I am on my third bottle of this cleansing oil! My skin loves it. I use it as the first step in a double-cleansing method to remove my makeup. I don't wear a lot of makeup, but I still feel like this has made a huge difference in my skin tone and clarity! Since I have started using this, I am no longer being visited by that evil hormonal breakout that used to plague my existence once a month :] (Ginger, rosehip and pumkin seed oil among other great ingredients!!)

FIG & YARROW HAIR + SCALP TONIC

I am on my second nearly empty bottle of this amazing hair and scalp oil. I use this twice a week, the night before I wash my hair. I massage it into my scalp before bed, and let my hair and scalp absorb all of the goodness during the night. I have a sort of finicky, sensitive scalp which can be prone to dryness. A dry/tight/itchy scalp is not a good thing, but this treatment is. 

That just about wraps it up! Have you tried any of these amazing oils? Which one is your favorite? 

xoxo





No comments:

Post a Comment