Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Raw Superfood Donut Holes (Vegan!)



My well loved, lil' ol' oven has been on the fritz lately, so I haven't been able to do much baking. I guess it's just as well because it's been too hot to enjoy baking anyway. Buuuut, I HAD to make something because I need my treats (y'all know). I decided to make a healthy, wholesome version of what may be the most fun baked good ever: donut holes!

The traditional donut hole is baked or fried, and laden with refined sugar and white flour. This version is refined sugar free, flourless, nutrient dense and still super satisfying in both texture and taste. I've been snacking on these for days and they are SO GOOD.

What more could you ask for? Oh yeah. The recipe...

Raw Superfood Donut Holes

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup raw almonds (can sub other nut of choice)
  • 10 dates, pitted & room temperature
  • 1/4 cup hemp seeds
  • 2 tbsp. chia seeds
  • 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
  • 2 tbsp. flax seeds
  • 2 tsp maca powder
  • 1 cup raw almond butter (I used Trader Joe's) or other nut butter of choice
  • 1/4 cup cacao powder
  • 3 tbsp. pure maple 
  • 3 tbsp. unsweetened vanilla almond milk (can sub non dairy milk of choice)

Combine the raw almonds and dates in a food processor. Pulse or blend on low until it starts to get crumbly. Add in the hemp seeds, chia, sesame, flax and maca powder. Pulse to combine. Add in the raw almond butter, cacao powder, maple and almond milk. Process on low until mixed, and then on high to make sure any large chunks are broken down and the mixture is mostly smooth. You may need to stop and scrape down the bowl a few times because the mixture is quite sticky. 
Transfer the "dough" into a large bowl. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Use a tablespoon to scoop out the dough and roll them in your hands to make little balls. You can roll the balls in coconut, cacao powder and/or cacao glaze if desired. Refrigerate 30 min to an hour and then transfer them into an airtight container. Store in the fridge and enjoy!


**I REALLY recommend the cacao glaze. They're all good, but those are my favorite!

I didn't measure the ingredients for the cacao glaze, but it is pretty simple to make. Here's what I did:
In a small bowl, combine about 1 tbsp. cacao powder, 1 tbsp. pure maple and 2 tbsp. melted coconut oil. Stir or whisk to combine. Dip donut holes in the glaze, and place on parchment paper. Refrigerate until set.



xoxo Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment